Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cross Vegas

UCI race #3 for me in 5 days....

I love the excitement and energy associated with Cross Vegas! It's the only course where you're pretty much guaranteed to be cheered at along the WHOLE course. Last year I surprised myself in placing 10th. As this is THE biggest race in North America with the most competitive field of U.S & Canadian riders, my goal was another top 10.

Heading to the staging area, I realized I had forgotten my pre-race goo! Since I had time, I dashed back to the car. Being in race brain mode, I managed to rip the "litter leash" side off (not realizing this opened the whole side of the package) and when I went to rip off the top to correctly open it, goo EXPLODED everywhere - entire left side of my face and whole left hand! not to mention the complete handlebar region of my bike!!! Trying not to panic, I "washed" what I could off, pryed my gloves on and did my best not to think about goo stickiness on the handlebars (something I really hate!). (Of note, I am still cleaning goo off my bike...)

On that note, I headed to the staging area (again). It was a confused mess, but I got to meet Rick from Ellsworth Bikes and teammate Devon Haskell. A guy suddenly pointed to me and told me to "go" for my call up (I got a call up!!! Finally another chance at fame and ego fulfillment!!). All to be short lived as I as announced as Barb Howe as I rode by the crowd. Love it. At least Barb has a good sense of humor.... Time for me to get a big name tag in addition to my race number.

8 minutes later (yes, 8 long glorious minutes in the starting grid) the race was off. Devon had a fantastic start and I quickly realized that I don't like 8 minute long start grid waiting as my legs were a bit grumpy. They finally came around and I settled into the 10-15th place chase group - including Van Gilder, Syder, Howe and eventually Dombroski and teammate Devon. My legs just weren't happy racing, but I enjoyed the opportunity to be having an off day and still sitting on the wheels of some of the top women in the sport. Very cool and the reason I love this sport! Where else is there that opportunity?! In the end, I took 13th. Not bad for an off day. Just can't wait to see what happens when I really feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment