Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Starbucks Gran Prix - Issaquah, WA




A big day for me - my first local call-up & win in the elite women class!




It was a day of perfect conditions - sunny skies, fun winding course, a LONG (almost football feild length) run in DEEP sand along the shore of Lake Sammamish, hydroplanes racing in the background, and a formal call up to the start line!


I felt so pro as the MFG series did a rolling call-up for the 1-2 women (yes, all 8 of us racing that day got a call up!). I was highly amused to roll past the announcers, then work my through both the master men's feilds to the back where the cat 3 women were staged. At least it's a start.
I had been feeling a bit blah on the bike since Cross Vegas, so my main goal was to have a good ride. Although I missed the hole shot, I stalked the lead wheel for a lap then utilized the perfectly engineered top tube shoulder spot of the Ellsworth Roots frame & my long legs on the football field length sandy shore run to make my gap. Every part of the course, except the mile-long sand stretch, became more fun with each lap and I focused on trying to ride as cleanly and smoothly as possible on all the fun grassy turns and slopes. I just continued to flow on the course, stretching out my gap to a solid lead to eventually solo in for the win. Very fun to both start and end the race feeling like a pro!

No comments:

Post a Comment